October 30, 2015

Part 12 - The Amazing Journey of a Boring Man

The sudden flash back caught me unprepared. It was the suddenness of it really I think, that left me feeling helpless. Although, the memories were of course not very sweet either. I stood there in the middle of the kitchen staring at the gun on the wall, almost as if I had been mesmerized. In a single moment I remembered it all, all that had happened over the last few days, and weeks, as I now realized it had been. James just stood there watching me tremble, letting me take my time to think it through, before he asked the questions that were obviously on his mind: "What actually happened, how did you get here and do you know why Dr. Harwin was killed?"

Then turning to James I said: "We left the city of Whitehorse, Yukon in late August so that we would have a chance to familiarize ourselves with the area we would be studying in before it got to cold. We had 3 specialized trucks full of gear, that were capable of traveling even through several feet of deep snow, or mud if necessary. There were sixteen of us who left on that expedition, I for one was elated with the thought of finally being able to study arctic animals first hand, and in their own environment."

I paused for a moment, and then finally sat back down in my chair. James looked at me said, "Are you feeling okay, you are looking rather pale." I just nodded silently as I sat there, rather unwilling to go on with my story. Finally though I gathered up the courage to continue. "I have to admit that I really didn't know where we were going, or in what direction. I trusted the expedition leader to know where we were, and now looking back I feel like such a fool. I was totally tricked into the whole thing, it was a complete setup." "What was the setup, what happened?" An obviously exasperated James asked.

I got back up and started pacing across the floor in the kitchen, before continuing. "When I saw the guns I knew that something was wrong, what sort of an expedition needed guns like that anyway? Finally after several days of traveling, we arrived at what looked like a small bunker. I knew that something strange was afoot but even then I still didn't get it. When they took us into the bunker, and only then did I realize that we were being made prisoners."

No comments:

Post a Comment