October 20, 2015

Part 9 - The Amazing Journey of a Boring Man

As night fell it began to get very cold, I could feel it creeping into my bones, despite the warm clothes I was wearing. The snow which was bright and dazzled the eye when the sun shone on it during the day, now looked dark and ominous under the pale moon light. It all seemed very peaceful though, perfectly calm and still. The only sounds you could hear, were those being made by the dogs running through the snow. Soon enough we were back at James' cabin safe and sound.

I stood and shivered as I watched James unharness the dogs and put the sled back into the barn, once he was done we headed into the cabin together. We sat down at the table and ate a quick meal of bread and butter, and then we headed into the little bedroom. I helped James set up a narrow cot on the floor of the room. After a short discussion about who would sleep in the cot, he gave in, and I got the cot. Then after quickly cleaning up as best we could, by washing our faces and brushing our teeth we crawled into our beds. James lying comfortable in his bed, quickly fell asleep as was evidenced by his snoring, but I could not fall asleep for a long time. I kept thinking about Dr. Harwin, and wondering about what happened to him.

Once I did finally fall asleep, it was not a very peaceful sleep, as I had several disturbing dreams, and nightmares. Most of them made little or no sense at all, but some were snatches of the events that had occurred over the last couple of days. For example, I had a dream that I was running across the tundra in terror of something, I also dreamed that Dr. Harwin was trying to tell me something before he died. Needless to say I did not wake up feeling very rested the next morning. Once I got up, I joined James for a quick breakfast, before he headed off to help Rodney bury the body. I had on the other hand decided to stay behind at the cabin, alone.

I stood out on the porch, and watched as James harnessed the dogs and headed back towards the site of the murder. Once he had left, I went back inside and sat down at the table intending to read one of the months old papers that James had. Suddenly as if I had been struck by a lightening bolt, I remember something! My name! It's Kevin! Dr. Kevin Wright.

No comments:

Post a Comment