October 19, 2015

Part 8 - The Amazing Journey of a Boring Man

As soon as his sled came to a halt, James hopped off and headed towards the body, while I on the other hand just stood on the sled clinging to the hand rail, terrified at the thought of who or what could be lurking out there. Turning my gaze from the colonel, I saw that Rodney, after getting off of his sled, had slung a hunting rifle over his shoulder. As James and Rodney stood next to the body, wondering what they should do about it, I finally decided that I need to get up the courage to head over to where they were standing, and join them.

Once I arrived to where they were standing, I looked down at the lifeless body that was lying there in the snow, and suddenly realized that I knew the person who had been shot! I just stared at the body in shock for a few moments before I muttered to myself, "It's Dr. Harwin." "What did you say?" asked James. "It's Dr. Gerald Harwin, he was a part of the expedition." Suddenly I realized, what if whoever killed Dr. Harwin, was trying to kill me? What if that was what I was running from? What if the murderer was still close, waiting for his chance to kill me.

"I have to get out of here," I said, in almost a whisper. James who seemed to be thinking along the same lines said, "I think we should get you back to my cabin where you will be a bit safer, until we can make plans to get you out of here." Then turning to Rodney he said, "It's getting rather late today, so how about we meet back here in the morning and bury the body?" "Alright colonel," Rodney agreed. And with that James turned and headed back to his sled, with me following him like a child in his footsteps. Jumping on the sled, and with a wave goodbye to Rodney we started off back to the cabin, but the light was fading fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment