November 20, 2015

Part 14 - The Amazing Journey of a Boring Man

Talking about all of the terrible events that happened in the bunker, proved to be a difficult experience. I came to the realization though that I had a serious obligation to tell James everything that had happened in that bunker, and all of the events that eventually brought me to his home. I knew he could be in serious danger, because of the assistance he rendered me. James was a very good listener and asked few questions while I tried to speak. Nevertheless my story was frequently interrupted, due to my constantly getting lost in thought. James was patient with me though, as I struggled through the story, and helped keep me on track.

"At first when they told us that they wanted us to work on a radiation weapon for them, I refused to help in any way. I soon learned, however; that if we didn't help work on their evil project they would refuse to give us any food. Well, you can imaging what hunger can do to a person, so pretty soon we were forced to work on the project just to stay alive, though we worked very slowly and inefficiently. Through out all of this, we were also looking for a chance to escape or sabotage the mission. After the first week we thought we found a way to sabotage their weapon without them knowing, but Dr. Longhouse proved to be smarter than we originally thought, and when he found out what we had done he told 'Crazy Carl', who saw to it that we were well punished."

"After that, they kept a closer eye on us as we worked, and Dr. Longhouse carefully checked everything that we did. It was during this time that I began to get to know Dr. Harwin quite well, he was a very intelligent man from Texas, who I would guess was in his early 40's. Whenever we were working and no one was listening, we would try to come up with plans to escape or sabotage their plans. But as time drug on, I began to worry that our captors would get their evil weapon after all, as there was nothing we could do to stop them that wouldn't lead to our deaths."

"After our third week there Dr. Winkle tried to escape, he ran out a door that one of the guards had accidentally left ajar when he went to go help with the supply truck. This door opened to the outside of the bunker. From the tidbits that I gathered from the guards later, after he had ran out the door, he went around to the front of the building and straight out the front gate that was opened so the supply truck could back up to the bunker's loading dock. Dr. Winkle was shot by a guard shortly after he had run out of the gate. 'Crazy Carl' used Dr. Winkle's murder as an example of what would happened if we tried to escape, and for awhile it worked."

No comments:

Post a Comment